Friday, November 1, 2013

Speaking from the shadows

Nightengale writes "Speaking from the shadows" on LiveJournal.


I was debating whether or not I should say anything for Autistics Speaking Day this year, because most of the time, I’m not speaking out as an openly autistic person. A few people know at work and in the community, but in most cases when I speak about autism at work or at community events, I do it without disclosure. And so I wonder if I’m a legitimately speaking autistic in the spirit of Autistics Speaking Day.

But I’ve decided to speak out. And specifically, I’m going to speak about the three reasons I’m not openly autistic at work and in my community, things I’m afraid would happen if I were. Things I have legitimate reason to fear, based on current available evidence. My fears are that I would be disbelieved, professionally discredited or tokenized. 

Please Read the rest on Nightengale's original post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.