Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Autism does define me

Michelle Sutton "Autism does define me"


When we meet someone new, it is expected that we get to know each other to some extent. The context of the meeting tends to dictate the sorts of questions that are typically part of the conversation. Where are you from? What do you do? Do you have any children? There are also some answers that are typically considered to be appropriate, and some answers that will generally attract a negative reaction.
I think what we are trying to do when we engage in these discussions is to find out the other persons identity. Who are they? What defines them? Do I have anything in common with them? I guess this is not an inherently bad thing, but it is problematic when you consider the fact that we tend to make certain assumptions about a person based on their answers that, if we are honest with ourselves, are often assumptions made in error.
Let me introduce myself:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.